As I mentioned in my last post I have been learning how to cook roasts. What I have found in the cookbooks that I have (mostly the Joy of Cooking and Better Homes and Gardens) they always say to cook the roast thawed, to brown it first and to cook it on the stove-top. This was all new information to me because growing up my mom always cooked it frozen and in the oven. So I am curious, how do all of you cook your roasts? Oven or stove; thawed or frozen; browned or not.
6 comments:
Ed and I have been experimenting with roasts too. :) We just made one on Sunday...we thawed it, browned it on the stove top, then slow cooked it in the crockpot. We added veggies, soup, seasonings, and water to the crockpot as well. It turned out yummy! The best one we have done yet. I still have leftovers to eat today for lunch. :)
We've done roasts lots of ways. One of my favorites is on the grill : ). I always cook it thawed. I like to pat it dry, rub it with olive oil and seasonings, then brown it (sear it)on the sotvetop. Then I cook it either in the oven or the crockpot. The crockpot gives you more of the fall apart kind of roast, and the oven versoin is more the kind you would slice. If we do it on the grill, we do it the same, except we sear it on the grill instead of on the stovetop. Have fun!!
Oh, I forgot. I also have a really nice BBQ marinade for roast. I had forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me : )
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 t. pepper
mix together. add to 4 lb. roast. refrigerate 6 hours. Grill 50-75 min., basting with marinade last 15 min. OR bake at 325 for 1-1 1/2 hours, again basting last 15 minutes.
Frozen in the crock pot- it's divine :)
I put mine in the crockpot frozen with 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, quartered fresh mushrooms, and a package of dry onion soup mix. This makes a yummy gravy being cooked with the juices from the roast. I then thicken it on the stovetop with cornstarch. I've done it with both beef and pork roasts and both are scrumptous.
I thaw mine, then I put it in the crock pot, sprinkle it with a package of lipton onion soup and pour in a can of Dr. Pepper (we joke that the caffenine cooks out, he he he) It's SOOO GOOD!!!
Post a Comment