
Recently I have been reading one of my favorite books again: The Guns of August by historian Barbara Tuchman. With school as busy as it is I only have a couple of minutes a day to read, usually right before bed. Despite having a good size stack of books I want to get at this is definitely worth reading again. Published in the 1960's, The Guns of August chronicles the outbreak of the first World War. Beginning with the complicated plans that preceded the campaigns Tuchman explains how "some foolish thing in the Balkans" became a tragedy that consumed millions of lives. The author chronicles how leaders grossly misread each other's motives and plunged Europe into war. This shouldn't be equated with a war novel as it is very different. It is about leaders and individuals who shaped history.
To those who aren't familiar with the historiography of World War I, the war was pretty senseless, even as wars go. Accordingly, historians have tried for decades to explain how such a tragedy could have occurred. Barbara Tuchman was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for her effort. Some of JFK's former advisers have remarked that the President drew inspiration from this book during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
In any event, I would like to invite you to read this excellent piece of writing. I am much more interested in American History than European, but this remains one of my favorite books. To those who may feel a little intimidated, reading an encyclopedia article on World War I will give you enough background to appreciate what the author does. I understand that most book recommendations fall on deaf ears. This is especially true with non-fiction. So it's not Twilight . . . it won't hurt you to read something intellectually compelling while still enjoying the story and lucid prose. More importantly it will help you understand one of the most pivotal events of the 20th century, and expand your mind in the process.
8 comments:
Sheesh, you left me feeling down right guilty if I don't check it out. :-) Just kidding, I really enjoyed your passionate review of the book. It interested me to the extent that I have placed a hold on it at the library. That doesn't guarantee that I'll manage to read it. After all, how much of the 606 pages (you failed to mention the length :-) ) is part of the reading? I'll have to let you know if I make it through. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been thinking about wanting to read a good book lately.
I am intrigued. I will have to find it--always looking for something new to read.
Ed, no guilt trip intended :). It is a little long, but trust me, it reads like a novel (especially compared to other, more academic, history books). It certainly is worth a look. But, in the spirit of compromise i'd be willing to accept a recommendation from you, provided there is no stipulation to finish it before finals :).
Lee, I will read this book if you read one of my children's literature books.
Amy, its a deal. I read Princess Academy . . . i can handle pretty much anything. Pick a long one for me.
I'm thinking I'll look for it at the library, after I finish Fablehaven 3. There's a recommendation for you, if you haven't read it yet, though you should start with the first : ).
Alright, so I have to confess. I checked it out almost three weeks ago and confirmed my pathetic suspicion; I have no time to read (or else I'm just not good at working it into my time management schedule). Perhaps one day I'll get around to it.
Sarah! How are you? You mom told me how to find your blog over Easter weekend. I can't wait to see what you guys are up to. Send me an email and I will send you an invite to our family blog. benandtuesdee@gmail.com
Post a Comment