Thursday, November 13, 2008

Prop 8 Protest

I just saw a clip of the news as I was in a patients room and it was so sad. They were speaking of the protests from the passing of proposition 8 in California and how copies of the Book of Mormon were now being burned. I couldn't believe this. I am close to tears thinking about the disrespect shown to something that I, and millions of people, hold sacred. It is so sad that the Church is being targeted when they are only a small percentage of the people for prop 8. Charity made a post not too long ago about prop 8 and I agree with what she said. Marriage is sacred, and we need to protect it no matter what the protestors try to do.

2 comments:

Tera said...

It is quite discouraging that we are being singled out. I am glad that we stood up for what we know is right, but the persecution is hard to take.

Rulene said...

I though it was quite interesting the statement offered by the Catholic Bishop of Sacramento. He was stating that it was an historic alliance of people from every faith and ethnicity that worked to get this passed. He said, "I personally decry the bigotry recently exhibited towards the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - coming from the opponents of Proposition 8, who ironically, have called those of us supporting traditional marriage intolerant.
I call upon the supporters of same-sex marriage to live by their own words - and to refrain from discrimination against religion and to exercise tolerance for those who differ from them. I call upon them to accept the will of the people of California..."