Saturday, October 11, 2008

Update

Since it has been a long time since we have updated the blog i'll give interested (and disinterested) readers a brief review of our life the past few weeks.

First, about a month ago Sarah was the Maid of Honor for a co worker's wedding in Las Vegas. Although the wedding was a little different than what we were used to it was still fun and the weekend provided a good getaway. I (Lee) had never really been there.

School has started in earnest for me. I am trying to remember why i missed it so much over the summer. I must admit though that i enjoy the classes, the lectures are interesting, and the writing is fun as well.

I have finished the following books since the wedding, which were for pleasure reading:
1. Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson. A good one volume history of the Civil War.
2. Apostles of Disunion: Confederate Succession Commissioners and the Coming of the Civil War. This is fairly recent scholarship that ties Southern slavery to racism. Not for the casual reader.
3. Lincoln and Douglas: The Debates that Defined America. Good treatment of the debates.
4. Almost A Miracle: The American Victory in the War of Independence. A fairly new military history of the Revolutionary war. I actually let this one sit on my shelf for a long time before i started it and was pleasantly surprised. I am still sad it is over.
5. President Lincoln: The Duty of a Statesman. An analysis of Lincoln as President. The author looks at his decisions and policies as evidence for his claim as a statesman.

I have read a couple more good history books for classes, but i'll spare you.

Recently Sarah has decorated the apartment with fall and Halloween stuff. It's kind of nice not having to live with five other guys anymore (no offense to former roommates). We are settled into our ward and are awaiting callings as well. Recently we have enjoyed following the election and just spending time with each other! I'm sure more important stuff than this has happened but i'll let Sarah fill in the gaps.

3 comments:

Charity said...

Thanks for the update. So good to hear from you!! Glad to hear you're feeling it's a plus to have Sarah as a roommate : ).

Lee Deppermann said...

she's cleaner than most

Tera said...

The apartment looks great! Thanks for the party last week. You guys are great!